NET+ Cloud Services Program
Leverage Community Scale and Expertise to Support Cloud Service Adoption
Internet2 NET+ Cloud Services Program is part of Internet2’s larger effort to enable tailored and integrated cloud solutions that simplify academic and scientific collaboration through cloud storage, compute and data sharing.
The program helps Internet2 members and other qualified institutions access cloud services through a variety of ways, including:
- Leverages the capacity of the Internet2 Network connection for enhanced performance and delivery of cloud services.
- Expands adoption of InCommon Federation identity and access management among cloud services.
- Facilitates deployment and ease of integration of commercial cloud services uniquely configured for research and education needs, legal terms negotiated via the power of a large community, and frequently consistent and predictable pricing.
- Peer evaluation of key service components includes: functional; technical; security; accessibility; business and legal; and deployment.
- Facilitates peer-to-peer and community knowledge sharing of best practices, tools and capabilities.
- Influences industry to develop services meeting the particular needs of the R&E community.
- Encourages a strategic relationship between the community and service providers, and provides a basis for long-term collaboration on R&D and product roadmaps
What Makes a NET+ Cloud Service?
Through a rigorous, peer-driven evaluation process, R&E institutions and cloud service providers work together to develop offerings that maximize deployment efficiencies and minimize the business and legal challenges, financial costs, and technology risks of migrating from on-campus to cloud-based solutions. Members collectively identify and vet cloud solutions that the community believes can be effective in meeting challenges, and have the potential to scale, benefiting all member institutions’ teaching, learning and research needs.
NET+ services are made broadly available after they complete a peer-driven service evaluation process. At that point, new business models, legal agreements, and the best possible pricing and terms for all are created to speed adoption and implementation. Leveraging the collective technical and functional expertise of Internet2 members, combined with the collaborative scale of the R&E community, ensures that Internet2 NET+ services are high-value, collegially vetted, ready-to-use cloud solutions, simple to access and administer, and tailored to the unique needs of R&E.
Services are maintained through a lifecycle whereby the are administered by an Internet2 NET+ program manager with domain expertise and Service Advisory Group of R&E community members.
Success in the cloud involves a lot more than just selecting a technology or a service. A whole new range of related activities is required, and the development of a new range of skills that will ensure your campus can take full advantage of these new, innovative services. New perspectives and skills are needed to maximize the benefits of collaborative cloud environments in nearly every area of the academic institution. That's where the CloudProud™ program comes in.
We invite you to learn from other CloudProud organizations—your R&E colleagues—how you can enable completely new levels of collaboration for your organization with cloud and trust solutions that scale—not just institutionally, but nationally and globally.
Have questions about Internet2 NET+ services? Read the FAQ on our wiki.
Still can’t find the answer you need? Ask us at email@example.com!
a Service (SAAS)
Our goal: ensuring that members of our community have access to the right services, at the right time, with the right protections and privacy considerations, while supporting easy, global collaboration.