Google Cloud Platform
This collaboration with Google Cloud is part of an integrated, organization-wide strategy that provides cloud solution requirements developed in concert with the Internet2 member community.
The NET+ Google Cloud Platform (GCP) offering includes a pre-negotiated, custom contract designed to ease deployment, accelerate adoption, and increase security and data protection for the academic enterprise. Internet2 higher education members benefit from key enhancements to standard GCP education terms, while leveraging the capacity of the Internet2 Network connection for enhanced performance and delivery.
In addition to the NET+ GCP offering, Internet2 leverages regional and national trusted research infrastructure to provide private peering services, as well as direct access to Google Cloud Platform Dedicated Interconnect through the Internet2 Cloud Connect service. Regional and state networks and subscribers to NET+ GCP gain access to over 300 gigabit per second of private peering capabilities with Google Cloud through the Internet2 Network, in addition to resilient national interconnects for private GCP Dedicated Interconnect. Together, these advanced, resilient, secure, community-enabled services make it easier for researchers to access and use cloud resources.
- Eligible Subscribers:
- Internet2 Higher Education Members
- Michigan State University
- Sara Jeanes
The teams from Indiana University, Michigan State University, University of Washington, and Washington University in St Louis have worked with the Google team to develop a differentiated NET+ Google Cloud Platform (GCP) program.
NET+ GCP combines the best-in-class Google Cloud Platform with several unique benefits, including:
- Significant discount for Internet2 higher education members, as well as egress waivers for data egress fees
- Free deployment and training for Internet2 member institutions
- Successful completion of the peer-driven NET+ Service Validation process for community security, accessibility, and performance standards
- Community-designed security assessment HECVAT available upon request
- The ability to bring your own authorized software reseller to acquire NET+ GCP offering
- Free Orbitera cloud billing reporting and analytics, and Business Associates Agreements (BAA) through Carahsoft, a leading IT solutions provider
- Pre-negotiated, custom contract with Internet2 member institutions
For details on how to sign up email email@example.com.
Why work with Distributors and Resellers for Cloud Services? Find out more here.
- Google Cloud Platform Dedicated Interconnect
- Layer 3 routed access to Google via direct peering with these providers. Consider using the Internet2 Peer Exchange (I2PX) when accessing cloud providers if your applications don’t require your campus private network to be extended into the cloud. Additionally, if your application requires network layer encryption implemented with VPN tunneling, the I2PX can provide multiple high capacity paths for your tunnels into these cloud providers.
Google Cloud Platform Dedicated Interconnect
Internet2 Peer Exchange
The Internet2 Peer Exchange (I2PX) provides Layer 3 routed access to Google via direct peering with these providers. Consider using the I2PX when accessing cloud providers if your applications don’t require your campus private network to be extended into the cloud. Additionally, if your application requires network layer encryption implemented with VPN tunneling, the I2PX can provide multiple high capacity paths for your tunnels into these cloud providers.
Using your regional's infrastructure in conjunction with the Internet2 Network, you can reach cloud resources, including Google Cloud Platform Dedicated Interconnect. The robust regional and national networks allow access to these cloud providers available in the locations on the map (please see below). Depending on your preference, you can implement either a Layer 2 or Layer 3 solution. Additionally, you will need to subscribe to the cloud provider's service. For Microsoft, please contact your representative directly.
Google Cloud Platform Dedicated Interconnect Service Locations
Connecting to Google Cloud Platform Dedicated Interconnect
Internet2 offers both a layer 2 and a layer 3 connectivity option.
Layer 2 Google Cloud Platform Dedicated Interconnect Connection
The layer 2 option consists of layer 2 VLANs connecting the campus routers to routers inside the Google cloud. The campus and Google exchange routes via BGP.
Layer 3 Google Cloud Platform Dedicated Interconnect Connection
With the layer 3 option, Internet2 creates an L3VPN unique for each campus. The L3VPN BGP peers with Google and the campus, in turn, BGP peers with the L3VPN. The regional network, if any, passes the VLANs through between the campus and Internet2. One advantage of this option will be discussed further below.
Additional Layer 3 Connectivity
Another advantage of the Layer 3 option is the possibility of connecting to other Google regions and other cloud service providers. In this case, the Internet2 L3VPN peers with the additional sites/providers and the campus simply continues to peer with the L3VPN over the existing VLANs. Doing this with Layer 2 would require possibly many additional VLANs connecting the campus to provider routers.
For information about signing up for the NET+ Google Cloud Platform offering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will will send you an Onboarding Packet to review including:
- a Cover Letter explaining the Service Evaluation process and pre-negotiated Order Form,
- the NET+ GCP Order Form itself,
- a list of Offers designed to help you onboard to GCP more quickly, exclusive to the NET+ GCP program, and
- a list of current Resellers in the program (you can bring your own as well)
From there, let us know your preferred Reseller, or if you need to issue an RFP for the service (we can provide you template RFP language).
Once you have signed your Order Form with your Reseller, and optionally the BAA, you will recieve your Billing ID, access to Orbitera, and will be off an running. Either new or existing Projects can then be linked to the Billing ID. Additional Billing IDs can be issued at any time.
For information about using Cloud Connect to access to Google Cloud Platform Dedicated Interconnect, please contact Cloudconnect_request@internet2.edu
Distributors and resellers are key partners in the adoption of cloud services, and often already exist in many campus technology service acquisition workflows.
Learn more about this model here.
Find out how the community is using the NET+ GCP offering by visiting the Cloud Wiki!
For program updates, see the NET+ GCP Community page.