Amazon Web Services
Investigators can now easily use NIH Commons Cloud Credits with NET+ AWS!
The NET+ AWS program team at DLT Solutions will take care of applying credits on behalf of the AWS account owner. DLT will monitor the use of a specific credit over time, alert the investigator if it appear the credit may be be insufficient for the entire period of use, and ensure that a subscribing campus has backup payment method on file. More information on the program can be found on the NIH Big Data to Knowledge Cloud Credits Model webpage.
The Internet2 community’s NET+ AWS service provides a better path for institutions to speed adoption of AWS and remove many of the barriers that have stood in the way of enterprise deployment. NET+ AWS, offers enhanced standards-based enterprise agreements, extremely favorable custom R&E based terms, ease of user account provisioning with central controls and critical R&E technology integrations. Further, data transfers to and from the AWS cloud have been substantially improved and include data transport waivers that allow scholars and scientists to scale their work and push limits with computing and analysis.
NET+ AWS offers:
- Enterprise agreements providing optimized terms and protections including a community negotiated Business Associate Agreement (BAA)
- Simple and efficient enterprise control framework to ease user and department account provisioning while maintaining central control
- Substantial improvements to data transfer and access with no costs for inbound data plus data egress fee waiver
- Seamless single sign-on with campus credentials via Internet2’s InCommon Federation, serving nearly 10 million individuals across R&E
- A direct AWS/Internet2 Network connection providing members with advanced capabilities for direct data transfer to the AWS cloud
- Successful completion of the peer-driven NET+ Service Validation process adhering to community security, accessibility and performance standards
- Discount thresholds automatically provided to all participating institutions based on total community volume
- Additional discounts based on total number of campuses participating
A group of five Internet2 Member campuses, along with Internet2 and DLT, have worked together to create an Amazon Web Services program specifically tailored to the needs of the non-profit research and education community.
Visit the DLT Overview site for further review.
Find out how the community is using this service by visiting the Cloud Wiki!
The Internet2 NET+ Amazon Web Services was developed by a group of five universities through the NET+ Service Validation process and has additional enhancements to support enterprise usage and broad adoption across campus. This NET+ program provides significant technical and procurement benefits, and enables campuses to leverage AWS using a best in-class offering.
- A community negotiated Business Associate Agreement (BAA) for HIPAA workloads containing patient health information (PHI)
- Increasing discounts of 3-5%, based on community usage
- Detailed and granular billing with a variety of payment options provides visibility to campus AWS usage
- 100Gb/s of privately peered capacity to the Internet2 Network
- Use InCommon credentials the DLT Portal to request and transfer AWS accounts
- Professional services and training available
The NET+ AWS program requires an Annual Access Fee that maps to the appicable Internet2 membership category. Members can discover their category in the membership list. Non-members can find their fee level using the membership category breakdown.
There is a one-time Setup Fee of $1,000 for Internet2 Members and $1,500 for non-Internet2 Members at the time a campus signs the Participation Agreement and Schedule.
|Membership Category||Annual Access Fee –
|Annual Access Fee –
What is the Data Egress Fee Waiver and how does it work?
With a standard education Amazon Web Services agreement, data leaving an AWS region for the internet is charged at $0.09 per GB. This per GB can be reduced to $0.02 per GB for an additional monthly fee with the purchase of AWS Direct Connect but requires a university to configure and manage additional physical connectivity to an AWS region.
NET+ AWS by DLT offers a Data Egress Fee Waiver that waives charges associated with outbound data originating from Amazon Web Services.
Okay, so what’s the catch?
To be eligible for the waiver, an account must meet some basic requirements such as primarily using the Internet2 Network for connectivity. The account also cannot be used for specifically bandwidth intensive applications (e.g., media streaming or MOOCs). The waiver applies to all data egress charges on an invoice up to 15% of the total monthly cost. So, if you have a $1,000 AWS invoice and $150 is for data egress charges, your invoice is now $850 dollars.
Why is a Data Egress Fee Waiver important?
NET+ Service Validation member institutions were particularly concerned that charging for bandwidth to a cloud provider is contrary to both the core philosophy of Internet2 and the higher education community. In leveraging the existing investment in networking infrastructure, the program should and can provide the ability to access cloud resources over existing pathways. Mitigating both a real and perceptive barrier to adoption.
Who is DLT?
Is this a more cost effective option than a direct agreement?
The program is structured to provide broad community benefit. It includes a prenegotiated agreement that already includes many (maybe all) elements that you might be looking for from a major cloud provider (a worksheet is available providing more detail). Additional discounts increase as community usage of NET+ AWS by DLT increases. Additional cost savings can be realized by using existing Internet2 connectivity to access AWS.
For more, please visit DLT's own FAQ page for NET+ Amazon Web Services.
To subscribe to NET+ Amazon Web Services by DLT:
- Fill out the Application
- Legal Name and Internet2 membership status for your organization
- Lead Contact
- Accounts Payable Contact
- Application Submitter
- Review and Execute the Participation Agreement and Schedule with the Internet2 Team
The Participation Agreement and Schedule will be sent to the "Application Submitter" electronically for execution and can be forwarded to the official signatory if necessary. The Participation Agreement and Schedule are executed with Internet2.
Review and Execute the Enterprise Customer Agreement with the DLT Solutions Team
A review copy of the Enterprise Customer Agreement can be provided by DLT after submitting the Application. The Enterprise Customer Agreement is executed with DLT.
After completing your Enterprise Customer Agreement, don't forget to check out the community Cloud Architecture Wiki for ideas on implementing Amazon Web Services.
NOTE: Internet2 uses electronic signatures for legal contracts, unless state law mandates otherwise.