Press Release Guidelines
Issuing a press release enables your organization to leverage the visibility of your relationship with Internet2. Benefits to your organization as a valued member include:
- Publication of your release on the Internet2 Web site and other appropriate communications channels.
- Association with the leading advanced networking and research organization among the higher education community.
- Increased awareness of your organization among the more than 300 members within the Internet2 community.
Please read the following guidelines carefully before preparing a press release that involves the use of the Internet2 name, its members, initiatives and other news regarding Internet2. If, after reading these guidelines, you have further questions or need press release approval, please contact Sara Aly.
Press Release Guidelines at a Glance
- Internet2's Communications department must approve all press releases referencing Internet2.
- All press releases referencing Internet2, its members, alliances or initiatives must use approved boilerplate language and follow the reference guidelines as listed below.
- Please refer to the Internet2 Logo Usage Policy for information on the Internet2 trademark and copyright as well as other style issues for press releases.
- Advance approval from other Internet2 members is required if mentioned in press releases.
Internet2 encourages its members to issue press releases about the member’s work with Internet2 and the advanced networking community. Examples include announcing a new membership, partnership or sponsorship opportunities available to other Internet2 members, or announcements relating to the progress or results of advanced networking projects within the Internet2 community. Please note:
- Internet2 does not endorse announcements regarding product sales or discounts.
- Internet2 does not endorse announcements regarding product launches unless it is within the scope of how a new product is implemented to benefit the Internet2 community or how the development of a product was directly aided by company involvement with Internet2.
- Internet2 does not endorse specific member products or services.
All costs associated with the writing and distribution of press releases are the responsibility of the organization issuing the release unless arrangements are made prior to distribution. With few exceptions, Internet2 does not subsidize or fund costs associated with member press releases.
Obtaining an Internet2 Spokesperson Quote
If your organization wishes to include a quote attributed to an Internet2 spokesperson in a press release, please draft a quote with the key messages you wish to highlight regarding Internet2's relevance to the announcement. Internet2 will review the quote and accompanying press release to attribute the quote to an appropriate spokesperson.
Following are the guidelines for references to the Internet2 name. All communications involving the Internet2 brand must be consistent with the guidelines outlined below:
- Do not abbreviate Internet2 (for example, I2 is not allowed).
- Do not put a space between the ‘t’ and ‘2’ (for example, “Internet 2”), or use “Internet II.”
Internet2 Boilerplate Language
The “boilerplate” containing the approved Internet2 language must be used in all press releases referencing Internet2. The Internet2 boilerplate may not be modified in any manner.
About Internet2® • www.internet2.edu
Internet2® is a non-profit, member-driven advanced technology community founded by the nation’s leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 serves 327 U.S. universities, 60 government agencies, 43 regional and state education networks and through them supports more than 94,000 community anchor institutions, over 900 InCommon participants, and 76 leading corporations working with our community, and 61 national research and education network partners that represent more than 100 countries.
Internet2 delivers a diverse portfolio of technology solutions that leverages, integrates, and amplifies the strengths of its members and helps support their educational, research and community service missions. Internet2’s core infrastructure components include the nation’s largest and fastest research and education network that was built to deliver advanced, customized services that are accessed and secured by the community-developed trust and identity framework.
Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Denver, Colo.; Emeryville, Calif.; Washington, D.C.; and West Hartford, Conn. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu or follow @Internet2 on Twitter.
Internet2 Media contact:
Sara Aly, Communications Manager, phone: +1 (720) 379-9674
All press releases with Internet2 references distributed by an Internet2 member must be submitted for review to the Internet2 Communications department at least five (5) business days before announcement date. We regret that we cannot guarantee approval/turnaround with less than five business day's notice from your organization.
Any member issuing a press release or announcement referencing Internet2 must have its public relations representative notify the Internet2 Communications department with the following information:
- Intent to make an announcement and planned announcement date.
- Scope and type of announcement involving the Internet2 name and project/initiative
- Advance approval from other members is required if they are mentioned in the press release.
- Any associated deliverables and deadlines required of the Internet2 Communications department.
Requests for review may be submitted to Internet2 by contacting Sara Aly.
I2-News Distribution Policy
- All Internet2 members and partner organizations are encouraged to suggest press releases for the I2-News email list to share news about or of interest to the Internet2 community. News should be directly related to the research and education community.
- All press releases with Internet2 references distributed by an Internet2 member must be submitted for review to the Internet2 Communications department at least five (5) business days before announcement date.
- Suggested releases should be sent by email to Sara Aly in plain text format (no attachments or graphics). The release headline should be placed in the subject line, with full text of press release in the body of the email. Please be sure to include public relations contact information at the bottom.
- To avoid overwhelming subscribers, only one member release per day is distributed to the list, on a first-submitted, first-distributed basis. Items may be submitted under embargo for future posting.
- Due to high volume use of the list, Internet2 reserves the right to distribute only one press release per day to I2-News subscribers.
- Submissions to I2-News should support the strategic objectives of the Internet2 community and should not conflict with the service and business objectives of the Internet2 organization.
- All submissions will be evaluated by Internet2 for appropriateness.
For more information please contact Communications Manager, Sara Aly.