Title: Vice President, Network Services
As Vice President of Network Services, Robert Vietzke (Rob) is responsible for the management and operation of Internet2’s advanced global network, its relationships with regional and global network partners, and research and development for the network. Rob’s areas include a planning and architecture team, a business relationship team, a security team, an operations team, and a planning and project management team that work together to operate the community's advanced network. Members of Rob’s team contribute to community efforts including global leadership efforts like perfSONAR, Global Network Architecture, SciNet and the national research platform testbed.
Between 2009 and 2013, Rob successfully led Internet2’s broadband technologies infrastructure program, which, with dozens of R&E community partners, helped create the environment that brought over $1.5B in ARRA stimulus funds to the R&E community. For Internet2, Rob led the team that applied for $96M in federal funding that resulted in Internet2 acquiring and equipping the nation’s first native 8.8 Tbps 15,000+ mile optical network.
Prior to this role at Internet2, Rob worked at the University of Connecticut as the Director and Network Architect of the Connecticut Education Network, where he led the development of the nation’s first all-optical K-20 education network that linked over 169 K-12 school districts and over 40 college and university campuses together with a gigabit optical network. In other management roles, Rob has led and designed cable television, telephony and data networks, and has managed policy, legal and financial operations and planning.
- Next Generation Infrastructure Project From 30,000 Feet
- What We Learned: Next Generation Infrastructure Packet and Orchestration Partner Presentations
- Another Record-Breaking Month and Planning for Continued Growth of Data-Intensive Research
- Planning an Advanced Network in the Age of Cloud-Scale Datacenters, Open Systems, Software-Driven Everything and Big Science Collaboration
- Highlights of Community Infrastructure Planning Sessions at the 2018 Global Summit
- Cloud Connect User Story Collection Continues
- Asia Pacific Ring: Major Milestone in Pacific Research Collaboration
- Cloud Connect Initiative
- Enabling Discovery by the Exabyte
- Update on Timelines and Deadline Extension for New Infrastructure Planning
- Call to R&E Community: Help Define Requirements and Plan for Future Internet2 Infrastructure
- Network Services Operations Update
- Looking for a technical forum to talk about SDN this summer? Opportunity for a R&E community-focused discussion in July in Berkeley, California
- Global Summit Highlights in Advanced Networking and its Applications
- New Network Planning & Architecture Head at Internet2
- Operational Excellence for the Internet2 Network
- Highest-ever Data Transfers Over Internet2 Network
- First ‘Operating Innovative Networks’ Workshop Builds Skills at Internet2 Innovation Platform Campuses
- 100G Software Defined Networking (SDN) Featured at 2013 Internet2 Annual Meeting
- 2013: Can we make it a year that is remembered for Innovation?