Getting Started With NET+ GCP Workshop Resources Available
Last month hundreds of community members attended the I2 Online virtual workshop series: Getting Started With NET+ GCP, which was transformed into the virtual event from a half-day workshop originally slated to be held in conjunction with the 2020 Internet2 Global Summit.
The series featured speakers from Indiana University, Washington University in St. Louis, Google, Burwood, Omnibond, and Internet2. Video and slides from all four sessions are available on the NET+ GCP community page.
Session 1 (May 7) discussed:
- How GCP’s structure differs from other public clouds, and what you need to know to manage it effectively
- Overview of the NET+ GCP program and its benefits, including how it helps protect your campus from risks you might not even be aware exist
- Choosing a reseller, Onboarding with reseller consulting, 2020 Special offers for new subscribers
- How to participate in the NET+ GCP community of practice
Session 2 (May 14) included:
- Managing identity and billing in GCP, and GCP’s relationship with GSuite
- GCP in a non-GSuite school
- Billing and invoicing (institutional realities and basic pros/cons)
- Monitoring spend and reporting
- Managing student use
- Using Credits
- Use of resellers
- Local networking issues
- Network integration for GCP using Internet2
Session 3 (May 21) featured an overview of security features in GCP from Google’s Andy Chang.
Session 4 (May 28) showcased the use of GCP in research including:
- GCP credits for research
- Using GCP with NIH Strides
- Preetesh Kantak from Indiana University on his use of GCP in economics research
- Jamie Sunderland from Internet2 on the ECAS projects using GCP
- Boyd Wilson from Omnibond on the Cloudify Science Gateways
To sign up for the Internet2 NET+ GCP service, see the program home page.
If your institution already subscribes to the service, we encourage you to be involved in the NET+ GCP community. See information on the NET+ GCP community page.
Internet2 sincerely thanks all of the workshop presenters for taking the time to share their knowledge and experience with the community.