2020 Gateway Focus Week Applications are Now Open
Looking to build a sustainability plan for your gateway? Planning to write your next funding proposal? Gateway Focus Week helps software and website projects get to the next level.
The Science Gateways Community Institute offers two Focus Weeks per year. The 2020 sessions are:
- June 1-5, Columbia University, New York, NY (apply by March 27)
- Nov. 30-Dec. 4, San Diego Supercomputer Center, La Jolla, CA (apply by Sept. 25)
During Focus Week, teams engage in hands-on activities that help them articulate the value of their work to key stakeholders. Participating teams produce a strong development, operations, and sustainability plan with a corresponding pitch deck that includes actionable goals.
By working closely across teams, participants have the opportunity to learn from each other’s experiences and challenges. Focus Week attendees leave with a flexible toolkit that can be used as their projects continue to mature.
Focus Week is subsidized by the National Science Foundation. This allows you to attend what would otherwise be a $2,500 per team event at no cost other than travel, hotel, and a few meals. Most lunches and dinners are provided as part of the networking and cohort building activities.
What's a gateway? Science gateways, which are also commonly referred to as virtual labs, portals, virtual research environments, citizen science projects, eScience, etc., allow research communities to:
- Access shared data, software, computing services, instruments, and other resources
- Collaborate with their community around a research topic or discipline
- Provide training and education materials to a community