Internet2 Announces Production Cloud Connect Service General Availability
Internet2 is pleased to announce that its production Cloud Connect service will be available as a part of our service offerings, at no additional fee. The service enables campuses to leverage the value of their existing investment in Internet2 and their regional network to access the private direct connection services offered by commercial cloud providers.
The service has operated as a pilot with no fee to members of Internet2 and our regional network organizations since January 2018, with over 50 campuses and 20 regional networks participating in the pilot.
What is included in the production Internet2 shared Cloud Connect service:
- Access to the shared 10G links to “direct connect” solutions from AWS, Google, and Microsoft in four cities across the country: Ashburn, VA; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; and San Jose, CA.
- Use of the 20 resilient 10G connections Internet2 has configured across the four cities in support of the community’s direct connect requirements to Amazon AWS Direct Connect, Google Dedicated Interconnect, and Microsoft ExpressRoute.
- Access at Layer 2 or Layer 3.
- Access to the Cloud Connect Portal service to automate configuration of Cloud Connect services.
What is NOT included in the Internet2 shared Cloud Connect service:
- Any fees imposed by the cloud service provider for use of their cloud services.
- Dedicated private links that are used by a single entity (e.g., a dedicated 10G link to AWS Direct Connect for a single campus). Dedicated private links to cloud providers will be made available to organizations at a modest annual fee.
Internet2 Peer Exchange (I2PX) will continue to provide access to public cloud and content providers:
- Internet2 will continue to offer general purpose, production access over research and education networks through the Internet2 Peer Exchange (I2PX), formerly known as TR-CPS.
- I2PX provides access to the public peering offerings of AWS, Google, and Microsoft, as well as several other cloud providers, content providers, and transport peers. Most regional networks carry I2PX routes.
- I2PX can be used as a redundant path to direct connect solutions to the big 3 cloud providers (via VPN).
To learn more about the Cloud Connect service, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.