NET+ Summer 2018 Events and Resources Update
As a follow-on to last week’s NET+ cloud services summer update on programmatic elements, this week, we are pleased to provide an update on various community events from service providers in the NET+ cloud services portfolio and other opportunities to engage with the team!
NET+ Service Provider Conferences
Several NET+ service providers and community organizations held conferences and meetings this summer with others planned for the fall. Internet2 staff joined to engage with members to provide ongoing strategic engagement with leading cloud service providers amongst the membership.
Box Higher Ed Summit & Hackathon
The second NET+ Box Community Summit and first Hackathon was a huge success, with special thanks to our hosts at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign for their wonderful hospitality and Box for the sponsorship and making Boxers available to interact with the community. The previous year's attendance doubled, with 80+ attendees from 25+ colleges, universities, and partner organizations represented.
Here are some highlights:
- Lightning Talks: 20+ campus perspectives on Box highlighting successes, challenges, and areas of interest.
- Box Product presentations and discussions: an hour each was spent on Drive, Skills, Admin Console, and File Size and supercharged uploads and downloads.
- Integrations: featured presentations included Indiana University's Kumo and Canvas integration, Northwestern's SAFER, and talks from other organizations about their services and integration plans.
- Hackathon: a higher ed hackathon was held for the first time, and not only saw some neat projects developed but also developed some ideas for future campus and community hackathons.
- NCSA programmers implemented Box as a storage provider and metadata catalog for the NSF-funded Brown Dog project.
- Indiana University team built a command-line interface and a framework with sample code that will accelerate future projects.
- Others learned "the basics" and got started with Box Platform -- and we are glad to support additional projects or activities.
InstructureCon (Canvas) 2018 Users Conference
Again held in the middle of the Rocky mountains (Keystone, Co), this carnival setting was focused on pedagogical issues and the ability of the community to learn from its successes and failures as well as advancements in the Canvas LMS and the ecosystem around it. New leadership, in the form of Dan Goldsmith as President of Instructure was introduced as well as many other updates and commitments.
Of particular interest this time around was the convening of the R1 Peers group created by UC Berkeley with other leadership from University of Central Florida and others. Exhibits included:
|Elements of Success||University of Iowa|
|Canvas for Medical Education||Case Western Reserve University|
|GradeScope @ Berkeley||UC Berkeley|
|Sign-Up Tool for Canvas||Yale|
|Open Catalog||University of Maryland|
|Advisor Dashboard||UC Berkeley|
|Box Course Folders||Indiana University|
|Instructional Guide for Faculty||UT Austin|
|Video for Instruction||Virginia Tech|
|MyUW Course Dashboard||University of Washington|
|Canvas Data & Live Events||University of Michigan|
|Canvas Integrations||University of Central Florida|
|Managing LTI Tool Requests||UC Davis|
|Canvas Training Course||Penn State|
The second half of the day was devoted to round table discussions around certain topics of interest to attendees. Among them were Learning Analytics, Instruction at Scale, and the Software Development Roadmap. All together, approximately 14 topics were discussed. At the end, discussion leaders reported to the rest of the group on an overview of the discussion had and any next steps that were needed. A big thank you to Instructure for providing lunch for this collaboration.
For more information on InstructureCon or the R1 Peers group, please contact email@example.com.
Google Cloud Next
Members of the community also showed up in force at Google NEXT, the annual conference devoted to all things Google Cloud. Be sure to check out the great session video on YouTube including this video on hybrid networking and GCP and this video on some great research already running on the platform.
TechEx 2018 Planning
Preparations are being made for the 2018 Technology Exchange in Orlando, FL on October 15-18th. There are several cloud sessions and working groups throughout the meeting.
Internet2 NET+ staff will present three sessions at the Educause Annual meeting October 30 through November 2nd in Denver, CO. Stop by and engage with us there.
- Higher Ed Collaboration to Impact Cloud Service Needs, What Comes Next (Poster Session)
- Shared Cloud Security Assessments Working Group Update: Cloud Broker Index
- Pre-conference workshop: Strategies for Streamlining Security Assessments Using the HECVAT
Higher Education Cloud Collaboration Call
For over three years, members of the EDUCAUSE Cloud Computing Constituent Group (CCCG) and the Internet2 Cloud Services Working Group (CSWG) have held a monthly call to discuss the challenges of purchasing, managing, configuring, deploying, and promoting cloud technologies in higher education. Over time the voices on the calls have changed, but the discussion has always been interesting and useful.
The name "CCCG-CSWG" is a mouthful, and doesn't convey the goals of the calls, so the calls have been renamed to the "Higher Education Cloud Collaboration" conference call. It's a small change, but it represents a recommitment by the EDUCAUSE and Internet2 communities to foster a spirit of collaboration in supporting universities adoption of cloud computing technologies.
Also, approximately half of the call time will feature presentations by key thought leaders and the other half will be devoted to open conversations. This should provide a great balance of information sharing and collaborative discussions. The agenda for these sessions will be set as part of our regular calls.
The calls are held the fourth Wednesday of each month at 12 Noon Eastern Time. Members of EDUCAUSE or Internet2 may request access to the invite and meeting materials.
Visit the Internet2 Email Preferences Center to manage your email subscriptions for Cloud News, and consider subscribing to other news of interest.