NET+ Splunk Update
Recently, there has been some confusion and questions about the Internet2 NET+Splunk program posted on this and other higher ed email lists regarding the status, pricing, and availability of the program. For those new to this effort, in 2012 Internet2 began a partnership with Splunk - the provider of unstructured data analytic tools, to find ways to make their technology and tools available across higher education. Recognizing the growth of data across every area of higher education, (and the likelihood of much of it moving to the cloud) campuses began to explore ways for Splunk to help their institutions and more broadly research and scholarship. Internet2 then signed the original three-year agreement allowing subscription by Internet2 member campuses, 82 of whom have subsequently deployed. Additionally the program supported access to all US non profit higher education campuses to Splunk certification training at no cost, a benefit that has been utilized by thousands of individuals across our community.
After the initial agreement expired this past January, individuals began emailing questions about what’s next. Our collective apology for that - normally we have next generation agreements in place well ahead of time but this new version includes a broader array products available to a much larger group of institutions. The Splunk advisory board campuses (including Baylor, University of California San Diego, University of Washington, and others) will be working with us to finalize the new offering, which we hope to have completed during the next month.
In the meantime, a few key points:
- If your institution currently has a NET+ Splunk agreement that needs to be renewed in the next 3 months, the extension is in place now and we can work with Splunk to extend your agreement under the existing terms for one year - no change right now. You're covered.
- For all campuses (existing and newly interested) the updated program will expand offerings to include Splunk Enterprise On-Premise, Splunk Cloud, Premium Apps, Security Intelligence, Behavior Analytics and more.
- In alignment with Splunk's company wide direction, we will be working with Carahsoft as the distributor which will facilitate license management, upgrades, and hybrid on premise and cloud usage.
- Carahsoft also works with a network of resellers and we anticipate the program being available through those many of those channel partners as well.
- Splunk has also renewed the free Splunk training for 2017 for an additional year. More information can be found at: http://www.internet2.edu/blogs/detail/10079
We will send an update out as soon as everything is buttoned up and available through the new agreement. Feel free to send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Senior Vice President, Internet2