Network Services Operations Update
A major 2016-17 goal for Internet2 Network Services is a focus on operations excellence and implementation of an IT Service Management (ITSM) plan. A great deal of productive work has already been conducted through a formal IT Service Management Review in 2014 and a security assessment in 2015. Both reviews identified opportunities for improvements in our service delivery system and we have made some progress with our partners in improving our services, but there is more to do.
In one piece of our effort to mature service management in Network Services, we have expanded an existing Operations Excellence Community Steering Team to oversee review of several key agreements whose initial terms ends in 2016/2017. This group will provide guidance on the development of requirements, execution of process and veracity of analysis for several upcoming network operating contract renewals. The requirements gathering will affect three current agreements that will expire in 2016-2017.
- Ciena Maintenance Agreements
- Indiana University for NOC & Engineering services
- Level 3 for DNOC services
We are very pleased to announce that Internet2 and the Global NOC at Indiana University have agreed to a one year extension of their contract which will now extend to the end of 2017.
To inform the Steering Team, Internet2 staff will be gathering information regarding the marketplace for network operations centers. This is a critical activity on our path toward operations excellence. This community team will assist Internet2 in achieving two primary goals: (1) to put agreements in place that include service objectives that articulate high expectations, accountability, measurability and transparency; (2) to allow the Internet2 Board of Trustees to meet its financial obligation to the membership by benchmarking and comparing options for sourced services.
We will provide regular updates to the Internet2 membership on the work of the Operations Excellence Community Steering Team. In addition, information about the work of the Steering Team can be found at:
We want to assure you that the community will continue to receive the same high level of support while the requirements gathering process unfolds and as we review options to meet the community's future service requirements.
Internet2 would like to thank the Operations Excellence Community Steering Team for offering their time to this important community process. Members of the Steering Team include:
- Dave Swartz - American University (Steering Team Co-chair)
- Kelli Trosvig - University of Washington (Steering Team Co-chair)
- Steve Corbato - Oregon Health and Science University
- James Deaton - OneNet
- William Deigaard – Rice University (NAOPpag Member)
- Steve Fleagle – University of Iowa (Internet2 Board Member)
- Kathy Gates – University of Mississippi
- Patty Giuntoli - BerkleyLab/ESnet
- John Krogman – University of Wisconsin-Madison
- David Lois - WiscNet (NAOPpag Member)
- Charlie McMahon - Tulane University (former Internet2 Board member, NAOPpag Member)
- Michelle Norin – Rutgers University (NAOPpag Member)
- Pankaj Shah- LEARN (Internet2 Board Member)
We would also like to thank Patrick Gallagher, Chancellor of the University of Pittsburgh and Internet2 Board of Trustees vice-chair as well as Steve Relyea, EVP & CFO of the California State University System and Internet2 Board of Trustees Audit and Finance Committee chair for serving as Internet2 Board executive sponsors to this effort.
More information is available via email at: mailto: OPS-EXCELLENCE@internet2.edu.