- COmanage Registry Release 1.0 is now available
- COmanage is participating in the TIER Initiative
- Check out the webinar and slides on Paving the Way for Research Collaboration (Aug. 2016)
COmanage: Collaborative Organization Management
COmanage, a project funded by the NSF and Internet2, is a collaboration management platform that allows organizations to meet their science and research objectives using key collaboration tools in a secure and effective framework. By leveraging federated identity management services, the authentication and authorization of Collaborative Organization (CO) members are handled in a single, efficient process defined by the CO. This process automatically creates the accounts and access controls for tools such as wikis, calendars, conferencing tools and other domain applications that are available to organization members.
Problem Space for COmanage
Imagine researchers and administrators working together on a groundbreaking research effort while being based at numerous different universities and research institutes. To facilitate their teamwork, these collaborators need to share documents, set up institution-independent mailing lists, coordinate calendars, and use a protected wiki to capture their efforts. Their collaboration needs to be protected, but the focus needs to be on the collaboration, not the technology.
COmanage allows collaborations to streamline and manage their identity-oriented requirements in a more efficient way, integrating the identity requirements with provisioning (and de-provisioning) of the collaboration tools used by the organization. With COmanage, the identity management components -- the group membership that ties together mailing lists, the authentication, the attributes that handle authorization, and so on -- are all handled behind the scenes, so that collaborators can focus on what they do best, advancing scholarship and research in their field of expertise.
NSF SDCI Bedrock Award
Information about the National Science Foundation - Software Development for CyberInfrastructure (NSF-SDCI) Bedrock award, which provided major funding the COmanage project, is available on the NSF SDCI Bedrock Award page.
- Internet2 Press Release (2010): Internet2 Middleware Initiative Awarded NSF Grant to Enhance Science and Research Collaboration (pdf)
- NSF Award Announcement
The COmanage Project in platform deployments around the world. The platform includes:
- The COmanage Registry, an Identity Management System (IdMS) designed for collaborative organizations
- A rich set of APIs to connect federated applications the consume attributes and access control information provied by the COmanage Registry.
The software, installation guides, best practice information, and architecture information are available on the COmanage wiki. The project uses open standards and is licensed under the Apache2 license.
NOTE WELL: All Internet2 Activities are governed by the Internet2 Intellectual Property Framework.
Development of this software is supported with funding from Internet2, Stanford University, and the National Science Foundation (Grant No. OCI-0721896, OCI-0330626, OCI-1032468). Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Ability to create enrollment flows specific to an organizations requirements
- Direct provisioning of information in to an LDAP directory
- Ability to create VO-specific attributes and connect them to a federated identity
- Support for VOOT and Grouper
- Documented API for tool integration
Future releases will include:
- Audit and reporting functionality
- Time-based expiration and account de-enrollment
- Service notifications
COmanage is open-source software licensed under the Apache 2.0 license. See http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html for a copy of this license.
To Subscribe to the COmanage Community List
send e-mail to "pubsympa at internet2 dot edu" with the following in the SUBJECT LINE:
"subscribe comanage-community FirstName LastName"
For more information, visit the wiki for COmanage at https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/COmanage/Home.