Amazon Web Services by DLT
Unlock the power of cloud infrastructure services with Internet2 NET+ Amazon Web Services
Increasing the speed of research and innovation with big data analytics in the cloud holds great promise via Amazon Web Services (AWS). Research and education (R&E) institutions have historically struggled with making cloud solutions quickly available for enterprise academic use and research at scale. The Internet2 community’s recent completion of the NET+ AWS service validation effort now provides a better path for institutions to speed adoption of AWS and remove many of the barriers that have stood in the way of enterprise deployment. The program, NET+ AWS by DLT, offers enhanced standards-based enterprise agreements, extremely favorable custom R&E based terms, ease of user account provisioning with central controls and critical R&E technology integrations. Further, data transfers to and from the AWS cloud have been substantially improved and include data transport waivers that allow scholars and scientists to scale their work and push limits with computing and analysis.
NET+ AWS by DLT offers:
- Enterprise agreements providing optimized terms and protections including a community negotiated Business Associate Agreement (BAA)
- Simple and efficient enterprise control framework to ease user and department account provisioning while maintaining central control
- Substantial improvements to data transfer and access with no costs for inbound data plus data egress fee waiver
- Seamless single sign-on with campus credentials via Internet2’s InCommon Federation, serving nearly 10 million individuals across R&E
- A direct AWS/Internet2 Network connection providing members with advanced capabilities for direct data transfer to the AWS cloud
- Successful completion of the peer-driven NET+ Service Validation process adhering to community security, accessibility and performance standards
- Discount thresholds automatically provided to all participating institutions based on total community volume
- Additional discounts based on total number of campuses participating (for example, reductions in Access Fees for Year 2 and beyond after 100, 200, 300 campuses participating)
A group of five Internet2 Member campuses, along with Internet2 and DLT, have worked together to create an Amazon Web Services program specifically tailored to the needs of the non-profit research and education community.
Visit the DLT Overview site for further review.
The Internet2 NET+ Amazon Web Services by DLT was developed by a group of five universities through the NET+ Service Validation process and has additional enhancements to support enterprise usage and broad adoption across campus. This NET+ program provides significant technical and procurement benefits, and enables campuses to leverage AWS using a best in-class offering.
- A community negotiated Business Associate Agreement (BAA) for HIPAA workloads containing patient health information (PHI)
- Increasing discounts of 3-5%, based on community usage
- Detailed and granular billing with a variety of payment options provides visibility to campus AWS usage
- 100Gb/s of privately peered capacity to the Internet2 Network
- Use InCommon credentials and the NET+ AWS by DLT Portal to request and transfer AWS accounts
Based on extensive community experience and input developing infrastructure and platform programs through the NET+ initiative, as well as the desire for aggregation discounts at scale to accrue to the service users on campus, program costs need to be covered by participating campuses at the enterprise level. New access fees for NET+ Infrastructure and Platform Services Program have been implemented to balance the need for community cost recovery and program financial sustainability and to maximize the benefits of infrastructure and platform services to campus users. See full details of the NET+ Infrastructure and Platform access fees.
What is the Data Egress Fee Waiver and how does it work?
With a standard education Amazon Web Services agreement, data leaving an AWS region for the internet is charged at $0.09 per GB. This per GB can be reduced to $0.02 per GB for an additional monthly fee with the purchase of AWS Direct Connect but requires a university to configure and manage additional physical connectivity to an AWS region.
NET+ AWS by DLT offers a Data Egress Fee Waiver that waives charges associated with outbound data originating from Amazon Web Services.
Okay, so what’s the catch?
To be eligible for the waiver, an account must meet some basic requirements such as primarily using the Internet2 Network for connectivity. The account also cannot be used for specifically bandwidth intensive applications (e.g., media streaming or MOOCs). The waiver applies to all data egress charges on an invoice up to 15% of the total monthly cost. So, if you have a $1,000 AWS invoice and $150 is for data egress charges, your invoice is now $850 dollars.
Why is a Data Egress Fee Waiver important?
NET+ Service Validation member institutions were particularly concerned that charging for bandwidth to a cloud provider is contrary to both the core philosophy of Internet2 and the higher education community. In leveraging the existing investment in networking infrastructure, the program should and can provide the ability to access cloud resources over existing pathways. Mitigating both a real and perceptive barrier to adoption.
Who is DLT in “NET+ AWS by DLT”?
Is this a more cost effective option than a direct agreement?
The program is structured to provide broad community benefit. It includes a prenegotiated agreement that already includes many (maybe all) elements that you might be looking for from a major cloud provider (a worksheet is available providing more detail). Additional discounts increase as community usage of NET+ AWS by DLT increases. Additional cost savings can be realized by using existing Internet2 connectivity to access AWS.
For more, please visit DLT's own FAQ page for Internet2 NET+ Amazon Web Services by DLT.
To subscribe to NET+ Amazon Web Services by DLT:
- Review the service offering and fees on the tabs above.
If you have any questions, please contact us at: email@example.com
- Fill out the Application
The application is located is here. You will be required to fill out basic information and identify contact roles so we can get the Agreement to you for signature.
- Information about your organization:
- Legal Name
- Internet2 membership status
- DUNS number
- A chance to upload your tax exempt certificate ahead of time
- Lead Contact
- Accounts Payable Contact
- Application Submitter
- Information about your organization:
- Review and Execute the Participation Agreement and Participation Schedule
The Participation Agreement is located is here and the Participation Schedule is located here. It will be sent to the identified "Application Submitter" after the application is received. This contact will fill out the required fields and forward it to the official signatory for final signature.
Review and Execute the Enterprise Customer Agreement with DLT
DLT can provide a review copy of the Enterprise Customer Agreement. Your campus will execute the Agreement directly with DLT.
Work with DLT to Transfer Existing and Provision New AWS Accounts
More details on AWS account provisioning can be found here.
NOTE: Internet2 uses electronic signatures for legal contracts, unless state law mandates otherwise.