Title: Senior Vice President, NET+ Services
Shelton Waggener is the Senior Vice President of Internet2 responsible for the NET+ portfolio of services including commercial and community cloud services, middleware development and Trusted Identity in Education initiatives. Shelton leads Internet2’s pursuit of emerging cloud and advanced services above the network involving demand aggregation and brokering with campus and commercial providers, and distributed offerings among its members. Internet2 NET+ includes compute, storage, platform and software services, the integration of identity management and federation with key applications for the research and education community, deployment of collaboration infrastructure among members, including video, coordination and sharing tools, content management, and domain applications.
In addition to core technical activities, Shelton has been very active in supporting higher educations transition to accessible, interactive digital content. He has sponsored numerous projects and evaluation activities with platforms and publishers designed to create opportunities for institutions eager to provide faculty and students enhanced learning environments.
Prior to joining Internet2 Waggener served as Associate Vice Chancellor and Chief Information Officer at the University of California, Berkeley where he also served as Chair of the University of California CIO Leadership Council. Previously he spent more than fifteen years in senior positions in the private sector at leading technology firms including as CIO of InterNetworking Systems, an $8B division of Lucent Technologies; Director of IT for Octel Communications; and Senior Director of IT Infrastructure for Sybase.
He is a founding member of several Kuali community source projects including Kuali Student and Kuali Ready and served for five years on the Board of Directors of the Kuali Foundation, a non-profit organization representing 18 Carnegie Class higher education institutions from around the world investing more than $70M in community source developed software for higher education.
Waggener serves on numerous boards, including several not-for-profit organizations supporting the collaboration and advancement of technology in public and private sectors as well as student scholarships. Waggener also sits on the technical advisory panels of several established Silicon Valley firms as well as serving as a resource to numerous information technology startup companies. He and his family reside in Oakland California. For more about Waggener and his work at Internet2 see http://www.internet2.edu/netplus.
- Page 1 of 1
- The Quest to Scale 'Above the Net' Services Globally
- Introducing Internet2 NET+ GEN2—Catch the Webinars
- Change and the Cloud
- 6 Keys to Changing the Cloud for Higher Education
- Cross the Fiscal Year Finish Line with NET+ Services
- 7 Signs the State of the Cloud is Strong
- Why Unizin?
- Identity Week 2013 Recap
- Learning Gets Cloud Powered at CloudBeat 2013
- Teaching and Learning Application ‘Ecosystem’ Sprouts From Internet2 NET+ Providers, Box and Instructure
- Global NET+ Services Pioneered by Internet2 Discussed at TERENA
- Cloud Proud: The Growth of Internet2 NET+ Services in our Community
- Shibboleth Consortium officially launched!
- “Pioneer: One who opens up new areas of thought, research, or development”
- Internet2 NET+ Program Sessions at 2013 Internet2 Annual Meeting
- CIO's should be watching (and preparing) for SDN and Openflow